Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Other Lookout Mountain

There are a number of posts that could follow that title, most of them dealing with some kind of socioeconomic issue, examining class differences. This not about that; rather, it's something much more trivial. I'm sure you've had the experience where you dream about alternate versions of familiar places, and that's what I mean by "other" Lookout Mountain.

So, in my version, which comes back every now and then, I'm driving south on the mountain (or sometimes inexplicably flying - those are the best). And while Lookout Mountain is a long mountain, stretching from Tennessee south through Georgia into Alabama, this dream-version is huge. I come across huge canyons with sheer cliffs, stretching down to wide rivers, dwarfing anything in Cloudland or Little River Canyon. The mountain keeps going, becoming a high Southwestern scrubland with Utah-like rock formations. Sometimes, when it's an aerial view, it'll be under a full moon that illuminates immense waterfalls that lead off the mountain through a kind of pine wilderness. I think it's in this area (much higher than the 2000 ft real elevation) that there's this secluded lake between a number of peaks.

The real Lookout Mountain is pretty cool, for sure, but man, I wish I could find this version.

No comments: