Friday, May 9, 2008

Summer Musings, pt. 2

Haven't written on here since last summer. Not exactly good with the whole "consistently doing anything" thing. Maybe now that a large majority of acquaintances from the past four years are graduating and moving out I will be motivated to keep some kind of a regular update on life. Not that it's really that riveting. Maybe the key is: shorter posts?

Anyway, summer hasn't really officially started for me yet, as I still owe some work from this past semester (so what am I doing typing this?) and as far as the calendar is concerned, it's still spring. Taking a May term course - Reading Film with Dr. Foreman. We watched Battleship Potemkin today, and tomorrow it'll be It Happened One Night. Excited.

Cranking out the songs, one after another, and laying them down just as fast with Jon Moon down in St. Elmo. Not going to rush this album; did that for both of the last two, and it's just better to take your time and do it well. There are a number of new sounds on the album, considering that I have taken the two years since we did Epic Everyday to try and catch up on everything I should have always been listening to. When this album gets out (which it will), you will hear some Beatles, some Brian Wilson, maybe some Bruce Springsteen, maybe some Wilco, some Rufus Wainwright, some Beirut, maybe a dash of Of Montreal and a sprinkle of Arcade Fire, a little bit of The Band, definitely some of my alter-ego Glen Hansard, some Zombies and some Kinks, Sting, Stones, most recently Vampire Weekend, and of course, Tom Paulus.

The point is that I'm listening, something which I hadn't really done for a while. Having a car (and a license) with a CD player has made me appreciate "the album". You can just stick it in and listen while you drive. Something I intend to do a lot of this summer. Some recent purchases: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco, the Blue Album by Weezer. Blowing my mind.

No comments: